Canon Noel Waring set up the Church’s Ministry of Healing in Dublin in 1932. In the 1960s an elderly lady bequeathed her home in the Malone Road area of Belfast, to be sold for a home for the healing ministry in Belfast. The priest in charge was Rev Fred Baillie who was also working part time at St Martin’s Ballymacarrett. CMH bought the St Martin’s curettage, 11 The Mount, Albertbridge Road, Belfast, as their healing centre and Brother David Jardine was employed as Assistant Warden.
The house at 11 The Mount served until it was sold in June 2007. A local developer bought it for about three times the market value, and the money was invested. It was in a very poor state of repair. Rooms were rented from Church Mission Society Ireland at 33 Dargan Road, Belfast. While the accommodation is excellent, it is located in the wrong place for the ministry and about five years ago a search began for an alternative.
The search yielded a house, 162 Upper Knockbreda Road. It was derelict, but in the right location opposite St Finian’s Church. CMH funds were vested in the Church of Ireland Trustees and they lease the site and house to CMH The Mount for a peppercorn rent.
The back garden, a Garden of Respite, is substantial and serves as a quiet, private area for the ministry with a bridge into the drop-in centre on the first floor. The grounds will accommodate about 11 cars.
The house has five counselling/prayer rooms, one has disability access. There is a drop-in centre with full kitchen facilities. There is a a large chapel/meeting room and two administrative offices.
The present shortfall in renovation is £147,000 with an interest free loan.
The ministry moved from Dargan Road on 1st June 2014 and the adage location, location, location has again proved its worth. The ministry is being truly blessed as we move into a new era.